In a previous post, I talked about how bad habits impact our lives negatively. You can gain control of your life by making positive changes to your behaviour patterns. Follow this process to adopt a new habit:
1) Write a list of the positive benefits you’ll receive. Make these benefits as far reaching and emotive as you can.
2) Just decide that you’re going to do it. Making a decision is the first step to accomplishment. Until that point, you’re only just wishing.
3) Make the new behaviour as enjoyable as possible. The more agreeable the new task is to you, the more likely you are to do it.
4) Anchor your new behaviour to something you do every day. The more automatic it becomes, the less effort it will feel you have to make.
5) Control your thoughts. Focus on how much you’ll enjoy the outcomes of the new behaviour. Avoid negative thoughts or expectations
6) Reward yourself whenever you succeed in performing the new behaviour
7) Each day, measure your progress in adopting the new behaviour. This will help solidify the behaviour. Some changes may take some time, but the results will be worth your perseverance
8) Review each week your progress and identify when was it easier to do this new thing. Make it part of the plan for the week ahead.
Although changing habits may be challenging, adding new ones do not have to be. If you choose the right new behaviour that counteracts a bad one, you’re one step ahead to win the battle.